Friday, July 25, 2008

Joe upgraded?

I had been thinking about upgrades to the computer that I use everyday. After all, it is five years old now, and was likely obsolete the moment it came out of the box. Technology moves so quickly these days. Naturally, these are the changes I would make if I had all kinds of money, so it is more of a wish list than anything else.

A web cam of decent quality would be nice. That way people who I chat with could actually see me if they so chose. And if I had bothered to get decent that day. Instant messaging is something I use fairly often, so this is a device that would get a lot of use. In that same vein, I would like to have an even better quality microphone, one that is voice activated and that I don't have to have stuck to the side of my face. Maybe as part of the web cam?

Another good feature to have would be voice print. I would like to be able to dictate a letter or commands, and not have to type so much. My fingers don't always do exactly what I tell them to these days. Besides which, it might be nice to try a hands-free approach to computing.

The drawback is that everyone else's computer would have to be capable of receiving all of this media. I have tried using my microphone to at least get voice communication, but it seems like nobody is set up for it. None of the people I chat with anyway.

Maybe an upgrade isn't so important after all. Just slow down my typing and keep this system running at best performance.

1 comment:

Steph said...

My laptop could handle it!!! If it was up and running...We still don't have a replacement cord for it. It's a lot of money. We could use a generic one, but mum [and I] both would like the one its meant to have. Unfortunately we don't have the money right now since we're moving soon.
Everyone I know with a webcam hardly ever actually uses it no matter how much they are online. I'm not really sure why. They use it a lot when they first get it then from there on I think the novelty of it is lost.