Monday, July 14, 2008

Feeling useful.

Never underestimate the value of feeling useful in one's life. Sometimes, it makes all of the difference in the world.

The worst thing about having been diagnosed with a disability, was being told by my doctor that I should immediately apply for a disability pension. To my way of thinking, this was next door to a death sentence. I've always defined myself by my ability to do for others. If I were sitting around on a pension, I might as well be a helpless child again.

While I do not have the experience or training for office work, or some other sedentary employment, I prefer to be doing something to earn my keep. In an agricultural and industrial region like south east Ontario, there isn't a whole lot of work to go around. Not without the right skills.

I've had to make peace with the fact that I cannot do a lot of the things that I used to. I cannot help others in the manner that I was accustomed to. No amount of moping or complaining can change my physiology.

Recently, I've been hired as an assistant superintendent for the building that I live in. The work is never supposed to be so heavy that I cannot do it. Mostly, it's just being a presence in the building on behalf of the landlord, so that tenants have somebody to talk to when there is a problem. Most of the job is handling the request paperwork.

In this first month, I've done a few other things. I've unclogged sinks and toilets. I've supervised the changing of locks. I have handled problems with refrigerators. (I didn't do the work myself, but I made sure that things got moved and fixed.) Little things like towel bars and the like I can handle.

I haven't felt so useful in several years. The only ones who had any real use for me were my wife and family. It is good to know that I still have something to contribute.

When my late father-in-law retired from work with the Provincial Park Service, he didn't have a plan of what he was going to do with his time. As a result, he didn't get exercise and his diet was a nutritionist's nightmare. It wasn't too long after that when he had a heart attack. The second attack is what killed him.

I don't care how you make yourself useful and active. Volunteer with an organization. Help out a neighbour with a project. For that matter, get a hobby that you enjoy. Just be active and do something that makes you feel useful. I think you will live better for it.

No comments: