Thursday, June 9, 2011

"Glue it and Screw it!" Mike Holmes and what he has taught me.

I watch a lot of HGTV (Home and Garden Television). I've learned a lot from the shows on that channel. Most particularly, Holmes on Homes and Holmes Inspection. It's mostly about using common sense when having work done on your biggest investment.

There are times when even I can look at the houses that Mike Holmes goes through and see the defects. I would never dream to call myself an inspector, but I think I've learned the key areas to look, what to look for, and who I should turn to for those systems of a house that really need an expert opinion. Education is a wonderful thing, and that's what DIY shows are all about. The only down side is that you can get a little cynical about contractors and home inspectors.

I think the fundamental thing I've learned is that if you are going to do anything, take your time and do it right. The consequences are just too great. All too often we go into things for the sake of appearances, without looking at the base. Like floors. If you don't glue and screw down the sub floor correctly, it's going to shift on you. Then that lovely hardwood or tile is gonna be destroyed. Make the structure right, and the finish will stay nice.

Another key lesson is to pay attention to maintenance. This means, if you don't pay attention, things will get forgotten and will deteriorate. Sometimes faster than you think. When you make the big investments, you had better be ready to look after it. One small thing will lead to a mess that you just might not be able to clean up.

Most importantly is that if you plan to go into a trade, don't bother learning the tricks of the trade. LEARN THE TRADE!!! Shortcuts are for people who don't care about their work. If you would not be willing to sign your name on something and have it paraded about, don't do it. Be ready to learn new things that will make your job easier, but don't look for a quick and dirty way to do the least work and give the poorest result.

These are the things that Mike Holmes and his crew have taught me.

Another time, maybe I'll go into what Brian Baumler taught me in his work on Disaster DIY.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike Holmes has given alot of advice over the years-- some of it would be- do your homework and research. Know everything you can about your renovation job. Make sure there are permits for the job-- every thing that is done needs a permit and make sure the work is inspected and signed off on. Don't pay in cash and hold back at least 20% for the end of the job in case there are issues with the contractor. If you think there is a problem fire the contractor and then change your locks-- there is no telling how many keys are out there. And most importantly to me-- I would have my house built by -- you guessed it Mike Holmes :)