Saturday, January 3, 2009

Resolutions, but little resolve.

Okay, so I haven't exactly been keeping up with posting. I do promise to try.

This is why I never make New Years resolutions. I know that within a week, they will be out the window, down the street, and thumbing their way to who knows where. It's been that way since time immemorial with me. I can make all kinds of vows, and mean every word of them. When it comes to will power... Let's just say, I'm a little lacking.

I'm not alone in this either. Studies and surveys show that more than 60 percent of all New Years resolutions are broken within three months. After six months, another 10 percent might go by the wayside.

We all feel the need to improve ourselves in one way or another. Unfortunately, we tend to fall short in just how much we are willing to do to make those changes.

Experts say that the key to keeping resolutions is to have reasonable expectations. No point trying to change something that you physically cannot. Another important thing is to put those promises to yourself in writing somewhere. Preferably where it has to be looked at once a day or more. After that, the usual self-help rules apply. Get support, and don't be afraid to ask for help when things are tough.

Here's hoping I can keep my promise to post here more often. You, obviously, will be the judges.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Yup, I can totally agree with this. Its the way I am for sure, I set the goal and lose motivation for it half-way through.
You are not allowed to see my last Data Management test...
I hate probability as much as it hates me.