Thursday, September 25, 2008

Weather or Not?

Well, the season is beginning to change, as indicated by the amount of fur that our cats are shedding. There have been a couple of frost advisories that have resulted in my covering my tomato plants. The leaves and beech nuts have been falling from the trees. (By the way, beech nuts will do damage to the cranium if they fall on you. Be warned!)

So why is it that I'm sitting here in shorts?

This has been a strange year, weather-wise, even up here in Canada. I won't begin to go into the problems experienced in the lower forty-eight. Summer took its own time getting here, with a lot of rain and then, when it did arrive, it did so with a vengeance. The humidity was enough to flatten you out, and then create short thunder storms. Now we go from highs of 26 C to lows of 1 or 2, sometimes to the freezing point.

I think that's one of the wonderful things about being Canadian. We always have something to gripe about. If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes!

On the other hand, I don't think I could imagine living someplace with a more regular climate. My aunt and uncle have a place in Florida that they escape to each winter. They were even tempted to spend the Christmas Holidays down there. Christmas without snow. So wrong, on so many levels. Besides, I think my favorite time of year is when the maples have all changed color, but the leaves haven't all fallen to the ground. That would be so hard to give up.

So, like every other Canadian, I think I'll go ahead and complain about the weather, and just keep a pair of shorts handy.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Ok Ok Ok i will not remind you that your wife did spend a Christmas in Florida. It was very nice and i enjoyed it very much. There was no snow of course but we did have a chilly holiday season down there for some reason that year. We even had roasted chestnuts. The only reason that i liked it so much i think was because i was staying at the Port Orleans Resort in Disneyworld. I was all by myself but i did meet alot of fellow Canadians down there so i was not really alone. And the funny thing- the year i went down to the south to not see the snow for the holidays they didnt get any up here at least for Christmas. What a rip lol

Steph said...

I agree with you completely and totally. Half the fun of being Canadian is being able to complain about the weather ^-^ Lol
And I love the fall too. I love going to Mama's place and seeing all the leaves turning colour. Though its depressing to see them all on the ground.