Friday, September 19, 2008

Babysitting?

I know I promised not to do this here, but I just have to vent a little.

When did I become a babysitter?

There was a problem yesterday evening with some of the tenants. Apparently, they felt that one of the boys who lives in the building was being far too rough with the others. I received a phone call, complaining about something that happened the day before yesterday. While I am responsible for the safety of the children as they play in the yard, I have to be notified of things when they happen before I can take action.

Furthermore, without the proper complaints filed, the most I could do was talk to the boy's mother, and ask her to have a serious chat with him. As the assistant superintendent, I really don't see how it is up to me to handle how the children are behaving. Even as I was talking with both sets of parents, all of the children involved were outside playing together.

I really do want to keep peace among the tenants of the building. I'm just not sure how to do this when somebody gets their feelings hurt, and feels the need to say "he started it" to me. Then there is dealing with the kids.

Okay, that last paragraph was a little harsh.

When do I start treating "boys will be boys" as a tenant incident with the possible consequence of eviction?

1 comment:

Sandra said...

You don't. Since this episode happened days ago and you were notified days later it should be up to the tenants to work it out if they are reasonable people. Just sit the kids down and have a decussion. Your the super not a parent. If it continues they should write out an incident report the day that it happens not phone you several days later.