Sunday, April 6, 2008

Is that spring I see?

It has been just beautiful out the last few days here, which makes me dare to ask the question, is spring finally here?
I suppose, as a Canadian, you would think I'd be used to being cooped up indoors for five months out of the year. It doesn't matter who you are or where you come from, nobody wants to be kept indoors by the weather any longer than they have to. It doesn't help the for the last two years, we have been totally spoiled by warmer than normal winters with less than average snowfall.
This year, our area is flirting with a record fall of almost fourteen feet total. The likes of this hasn't been seen since the winter of 1976. I remember that year. Ten foot snow banks were everywhere. My family was snowed in for the best part of a week, unable to get farther than the end of the driveway.
I really shouldn't complain though. Across the border, in Watertown NY, they are dealing with almost fifteen feet of snow, which is now melting and threatening to flood anything not up above river level. We aren't facing anything like that here.
That is the big benefit of all of the snow this year. We have seen enough to raise the level of the St. Lawrence River to heights that haven't been seen in years. With mild, dry winters, there just hasn't been enough to keep the system full. Millions depend on the river for drinking water. The tourism industry was hurting, with docks having to be extended yards just to get to water. This year, we won't have those kinds of problems.
I am looking forward to spring and summer this year. I have a lot of work to do, but there is a lot of pleasant stuff to look ahead to as well. For example, the landlord has created flower beds along the side of the building, and the superintendent told me that I can plant anything I want. In that spirit, I plan to put in a few hastas, some tomatoes, and some peppers. No reason a flower bed has to be merely ornamental. I might even put in a few perennial herbs, just for kicks. I'd love to grow a little mint. It's useful whenever somebody has a cold or anything.
I do have to work on the car this summer though. The body took a real beating this year. At twelve years old, most people would throw her away, but she is a good car still, and worth the task of working with fiberglass and body fill. My wife loves that car, and it has been very good to her. You don't break up a combination like that.
The longer days are here. Time to take advantage and enjoy.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Not to mention I have the summer to hang out with you and Aunt Sandra before I leave for Alberta. Julie is going to talk to her head boss girl tomorrow and see if she can get the last week of August off. We're going to go that week and scope the area out. Hopefully she can come with me - crosses fingers - No one else I know is healthy enough to come with me :(