Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Chains and doors, metaphors

I finally heard back from an old friend today. We were once regular correspondents, back in high school. A day didn't go by that we didn't write each other a letter, or sometimes two. As with many relationships, we slowly drifted apart after graduation. We did write a few letters when we went away to different colleges, but they got shorter and shorter, and eventually just stopped.
Life is very much like a revolving door. People come in and stay for a time, but then, as time goes by, they have to go on about their business, and other faces and names come in to take their place. Sometimes the door swings open on a relationship more than once, but that is very rare.
More special is the person who comes into your life to stay. These are the constants, that anchors that hold us in our place in this life. We start with family, then best friends and finally spouses and children. Those faces change over time, but they don't go out of that door as easily for the most part.
I am grateful for the anchors in my life. My adopted sisters and brothers can be transitory, here for as long as they need to be and then just moving on. My wife and family are the people who are there forever, keeping me from forgetting what I am all about and where I come from.
Be sure to treat the anchors in your life with care. Keep the chains strong and the capstan oiled.

No comments: